ENVIRONMENTAL and PLANT BIOTECHNOLOGY
|Master Degree study (M.Sc.)
Program starts: October 2021
No tuition fee for students from Poland, EU and EFTA countries
|3 semesters (1 year and 6 months)
Environmental and Plant Biotechnology (EPB) is a unique Master's Degree program offered in English for students from around the world who wish to be in the forefront of biotechnological developments.
EPB gives the opportunity to get the knowledge and skills in modern methods and techniques of environment preservation, reclamation and use in a sustainable manner for human benefits.
Biotechnology, combining the newest scientific achievements, technological advancements and the application of living organisms like microbes and plants, gives invaluable and unlimited possibilities to interact with the environment in a responsible manner, the environment we all live in and benefit from.
EPB students get interdisciplinary knowledge and skills based on proficiency in biological, agricultural and technical sciences extended to advanced levels in the fields related to the use of biotechnology in solving environmental problems, in particular they learn:
- genomics, proteomics and regulation of gene expression,
- physiology of plants and microorganisms exposed to stress,
- effect of natural and anthropogenic compounds on organisms' development and degradation of natural environment,
- techniques of microorganism, plant cell and tissue cultures in vitro,
- analytical methods and biotechnologies useful in study plant and microorganism metabolic processes and in environmental protection,
- bioremediation, phytoremediation and physico-chemical methods for environment decontamination,
- biotechnology of water, sewage and activated sludge, waste management,
- reclamation of post-industrial lands,
- biotechnology in crop improvement,
- environmental protection policy,
- protection and management of intellectual property rights.
During lectures, laboratories, trainings and trips, students are acknowledged with processes ongoing in microorganisms and plants at molecular, cell and system levels. They gain the experience and skills in analytical and biotechnological ways to monitor environmental changes, to protect biodiversity and to act for bioremediation of polluted water and reclamation of contaminated and degraded post-industrial lands, including biotechnological ways of sewage utilization and waste management. Biotechnological and conventional approaches of crop improvement for sustainable agriculture will be also addressed. Students also develop teamwork and social skills while learning in international and multicultural communities.
Bioremediation and soil reclamation
General education courses
Environmental protection policy
Students can choose facultative courses that enable to tailor the program of their study to the areas, which they are most interested in.
Anatomical features of micropropagated plants
Antioxidant activity mechanisms in plants
Biological and biotechnical methods of plant protection
Diversity of plant anatomy as habitat adaptation
Embryology of flowering plants
Flora of brown fields
GMO development and assessment techniques
Isotopes and antibodies in diagnostics
Manipulations on plant protoplasts and cells
Molecular techniques in mycological research
Natural resources of chemically degraded areas
Phylogenetics and phylogeography in mycology
Phytochemicals and microorganisms for biotechnology
Plant cell biology
Plant genetic transformation
Sustainable horticulture systems
Systematic botany in phytotechnologies
Systematics and characteristics of crop plants
Tissue cultures for crop improvement
Tissue cultures for fruit crops
|Study program — download
After completing the EPB study program, graduates have comprehensive, theoretical knowledge, skills and competence distinguishing them as competitive candidates in the European labour market. Graduates understand in-depth issues related to the application of modern biotechnological approaches in protection and sustainable use of environmental resources. They have skills to use a range of state-of-the-art analytical and biotechnological methods to monitor and rationally manage environmental quality. In particular, they can be involved in projects concerning environmental protection, biological remediation of polluted water and land, reclamation of degraded areas, sewage treatment, waste management, and plant cultivation and improvement.
Graduates have sufficient professional competence to start up business as an independent entrepreneur, or to be recruited as an employee of administrative units and local governments, workplaces, and other entities. They are prepared to work in industrial laboratories and research institutions utilizing biotechnological approaches. They are also well qualified to continue their education and solve scientific problems within the framework of doctoral studies at universities worldwide.
Graduates of the EPB program are also well qualified to:
- consult industry, farmers, extension specialists, investors and policy makers in formulating appropriate Environmental Protection packages based on biotechnological methods as elements of the environment-friendly agricultural policy,
- play a leading role in integrating multidisciplinary knowledge and skills in the process of enhancing agricultural productivity and ensuring food security at a local, national and global scales,
- be engaged in teaching and training activities at various levels of environmental protection and related issues.
Who can study EPB ?
Undergraduates with BA, BSc., Eng. or equivalent Diploma in life science
The most welcome are undergraduates possessing a Bachelor (BA or BSc.) degree, Engineer (Eng.) or equivalent Diploma in biotechnology, biology, agricultural sciences or environmental protection.
Candidates with a Diploma in other related studies are also strongly encouraged to apply if possess most of the following competences:
- knowledge in biology, chemistry, biochemistry, and basic understanding of maths, physics, biophysics, physiology etc,
- skills on principle methods, techniques and tools used in biotechnology.
|EU and EFTA countries, Switzerland
and other eligible persons(1)
|1000 Euro per semester
(1) persons from other countries are also eligible to study in Poland without paying a tuition fee if they meet requirements listed in the section 'Rules and mode of enrollment' (for example: non-nationals who have been granted a permit to settle in Poland; non-nationals who have the status of refugee granted in Poland; see more)
Candidates are required to pay enrollment fee of 18 EUR to the following bank account: PL 98 2490 0005 0000 4600 7337 5379; Alior Bank SA, BIC(SWIFT): ALBPPLPW.
Please, add the information for the beneficiary: "EPB admission fee" and name and surname of the candidate.
Recruitment start 13th May 2022
31 May 2022
Preliminary qualification results - to facilitate visa application process (if required)
15 June 2022
Pay the enrollment fee
see the Fee section above
15 July 2022
Final confirmation (if all documents are correct)
31 July 2022
Come to Krakow and start EPB studies
1 October 2022
(2) check for possible deadline extensions
|Copy of the Diploma with Apostille and diploma supplement or transcript of records (more) or other documents confirming possessed education
|English translated Diploma
(if not issued in Polish)
|English translation of the Diploma (and other documents confirming possessed education) provided by a sworn translator
|Certificate in English
|Document assessing the English skills of the candidate
|Document stating that there are no contraindications to undertake education in a chosen field of study and form of education
|Passport or ID card copy
|Copy of the first page of the passport containing photo and personal information or the copy of both sides of ID card
|Confirmation of the enrollment fee payment (see the Fee section above)
|Additional requirements for candidates after the receipt of the final acceptance letter
(before they start EPB studies)
|Document that certifies the candidate's possession of health insurance or casualty insurance for the period of studying in Poland
|Four photographs (35 mm x 45 mm) taken according to the guidelines for issuing visa
|Candidates who are to pay a tuition fee must send the payment confirmation
EPB study program:
Foreign Student Advisor (general inquiries):
address: Al. Mickiewicza 21, 31-120 Krakow
telephone: +48 12 662 42 91
Faculty of Biotechnology and Horticulture
University of Agriculture in Krakow
AL. 29 Listopada 54