INTERNATIONAL MASTER of HORTICULTURAL SCIENCE
The University of Agriculture in Krakow / Faculty of Biotechnology and Horticulture and Mendel University in Brno / Faculty of Horticulture and Slovak University of Agriculture in Nitra / Faculty of Horticulture and Landscape Engineering are the partner institutions cooperating in a joint international educational program, the "International Master of Horticultural Science".
The international study program "International Master of Horticultural Science" is focused on the education and training of students for their future activities in spheres of management, trade, and services as well as in governmental services at the European level. In the course of their studies, students can get a certain level of specialization on the base of passing through both obligatory and voluntary courses that have been selected with regard to current trends in modern European horticultural production. As a segment of special agricultural production, the field of studies "Horticulture" involves the horticultural industry in its complete scope and professional specialization at the level of the master degree.
The main goal of studies is to inform students about the current situation in the field of horticultural production with regard to international aspects and to prepare graduated experts capable of applying gained knowledge in domains of both theory and practice.
The key advantage of students in this study program will be their good orientation in the European horticultural industry that they will acquire during their study stays at partner universities in different countries. Within the framework of studies, great impact will be laid on the current problems of modern horticulture that concern above all domains of vegetable production, pomiculture, viticulture, greenhouse production, plant biotechnologies, storage of horticultural products, their quality etc. The central point of this study program will be the elaboration of a diploma thesis, in which students will have a chance to specialize and investigate a certain part of the horticultural industry. Thanks to facultative subjects, students will be able to extend their knowledge about many other different parts of the horticultural production that will be involved in a complex manner into this study program.
Graduates of this international study program will be able to:
- acquire fundamental knowledge in profile horticultural subjects oriented to the international environment of horticultural production;
- be granted — after a successful defence of the final thesis and passing through the Final State Examination — the academic degree "Engineer" (MSc);
- be able to synthesize the gained knowledge and to apply in practice;
- fulfill requirements concerning their possible PhD-studies.
Graduates will have an opportunity to occupy managerial functions in companies operating within the framework of horticultural production, both in the public (governmental) and private sectors. They will find jobs also in research institutions and at universities. Regarding the fact that this will be an international joint-degree study program taught in English, the graduates will acquire also a good knowledge of the English language that will enable them to work in important managerial positions abroad.
- the master program in "International Master of Horticultural Science" lasts four semesters (120 ECTS);
- the first semester of the program is attended at the University of Agriculture in Krakow, Faculty of Horticulture;
- the second semester will be attended at the Mendel University, Faculty of Horticulture in Lednice;
- third semester of the MSc IHS have to be attended at the Slovak University of Agriculture Nitra, Faculty of Horticulture and Landscape Engineering;
- students have to choose from the pool of subjects offered by the partner universities, whereas some subjects are mandatory;
- the fourth semester is assigned to the preparation of the master thesis at home university.
|Study program — download|
Applicants to the program have to meet the following requirements:
- completed BSc degree program;
- admission committee may evaluate even graduates of similar degree programs;
- sufficient knowledge of the English language will be assessed by the interview in English during entrance exam.
Who can study International Master of Horticultural Science (IMHS) ?
Graduates of the Ist degree life science study with BA, BSc., Eng. or equivalent Diploma
We welcome graduates after the Ist degree study programs related to life science possessing a Bachelor (BA or BSc.), Engineer (Eng.) or equivalent Diploma. In particular, we welcome candidates after the Ist degree study of agricultural and horticultural sciences, plant and environmental science, biology biotechnology or other related studies.
|Fee type||Citizens of EU, EFTA and Swiss Confederation countries, and other eligible persons (1)||Other|
|Enrollment fee||18 Euro||20 Euro|
|Tuition fee||0||1000 Euro per semester|
(1) persons from other countries are eligible to study in Poland without paying a tuition fee if they meet requirements listed in the section 'Rules and mode of enrollment' (for example: non-nationals who have been granted a permit to settle in Poland; non-nationals who have the status of refugee granted in Poland; see more)
Recruitment (applicants are notified by e-mail only)
|1||Registration||REGISTRATION SITE||31 May|
|2||Qualification result (preliminary)||15 June|
|3||Pay the enrollment fee||see the Fee section above||15 July
|Send the required documents||see the Documents required section below|
|4||Final confirmation (if all documents are correct)||31 July
|5||Come to Krakow and start IMHS studies||1 October|
(2) check for possible deadline extensions
If places are still available after 31st May, the recruitment process will be repeated.
In such case, the deadline for document submission will be extended to 15th July.
|1.||Diploma||Copy of the Diploma with Apostille and diploma supplement or transcript of records (more) or other documents confirming possessed education|
|2.||English translated Diploma(if not issued in Polish)||English translation of the Diploma (and other documents confirming possessed education) provided by a sworn translator|
|3.||Certificate in English||Document assessing the English skills of the candidate|
|4.||Insurance||Document that certifies the candidate's possession of health or casualty insurance valid for the period of at least one semester of studying in Poland|
|5.||Photograph||One photograph 35 mm x 45 mm taken according to the requirements for visa application|
|6.||Passport or ID card copy||Copy of the first page of the passport containing photo and personal information or the copy of both sides of ID card|
|7.||Enrollment fee||Confirmation of the enrollment fee payment (see the Fee section above)|
|Applicants who are to pay a tuition fee must send the payment confirmation after the receipt of the final acceptance letter.|
In case of too low number of IMHS candidates the recruitment can be cancelled.
IMHS study program:
Foreign Student Advisor (general inquiries):
address: Al. Mickiewicza 21, 31-120 Krakow
telephone: +48 12 662 42 91
Faculty of Biotechnology and Horticulture
University of Agriculture in Krakow
AL. 29 Listopada, 54
1st year courses:
WS / University of Agriculture in Krakow, Poland, https://wbio.urk.edu.pl/
Biostatistics, Integrated Protection of Horticultural Crops, Plant Molecular Genetics and Genomics, Polymers in Horticulture, Principles of Plant Cell and Tissue Cultures, Social Insect Ecology, Soilless Cultivation Systems.
SS / MENDELU, Czech Republic, www.zf.mendelu.cz
Applied Plant Biotechnology, Stone Fruit Production, Sophisticated Vegetable Production, Winemaking Methods, Fruit Storage, Technology of Fruit Distillates, Horticulture Machinery.
2st year courses:
WS / Slovak University of Agriculture, Slovak Republic, www.fzki.uniag.sk/sk/
Horticulture Dendrology, Integrated Systems of Fruit Production, Post-Harvest Technology of Horticultural Crops, Pruning and Training of Fruit Trees, Special Fruit Growing, Grape and Wine Evaluation, Quality Management Systems in Horticulture, Vegetable Seed Production.
SS / home university
|Information brochure — download|